Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I have chosen to look at what Canadians think of America, seeing as they are neighbours.

A Mexican, A Canadian, And An American are walking together down a road, when they stumble upon a lamp with a genie in it.After they rub the lamp, a Genie pops out and says"Okay, you all get 1 wish each, who's going first?"
The Mexican says"Oh, ME, ME!" "I want A 2-mile wide road across Mexico"
Genie, "Granted!" POOF!
American, "Now me! I want a 20 foot brick wall around all of the USA to keep the Canadians out"
Genie, "Granted!" POOF
Genie, "Okay Canadian, It's Your turn!"
Canadian, "Is that wall you put around the USA waterproof?"
Genie, "Yup!"
Canadian, "Fill 'er Up!"

Some Canadians hate the idea of having their country dependant on another, and wish for Canada to be more independent. It could be because they are so dependent on the United States that it angers them into dislike of the United States. They don't want to be dependent, they want there own stuff.
"I don't WANT to see America on every corner in Canada! Just because the United States basically runs everything Canadian nowadays does not mean I want it to! I want Canada to be Canadian! NOT AMERICAN!"

After reading a few forums where people have asked questions on Canada vs America I have found that views vary from coast to coast, for example people who live in Vancouver on the West coast have a very different opinion to Los Angeles then people who live in Ontario. "Seagurl" said that she 'wouldn't feel safe knowing that people carry guns.'
There is also this feeling that Canadians think Americans don't care about them until something like the Winter Olympics comes along and they're all over the news. More Canadians visit America then the other way round and it drives them nuts to think that America does not no much about Canada.
"I've grown up with you and I know you and love you USA, but you don't recognize me! You don't even know I, Canada, exists! And you don't care!" Robnator

I have also found from reading and personal experience that Canadians find it offensive if you ask them "Where about's in America are you from?" However they then find that when you tell the person you are from Canada the get treated differently (in a positive way).


A truly Canadian Apology to the USA, courtesy of Rick Mercer from This Hour Has 22 Minutes, CBC Television:
'Hello. I'm Anthony St. George on location here in Washington.
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry. I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron, but it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all, it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you, doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you want to have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White House during the War of 1812. I see you've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry for Alan Thicke, Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Loverboy, that song from Seriff that ends with a really high-pitched long note. Your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer, but we feel your pain.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. Because we've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

No comments:

Post a Comment